Ualá: A Fintech David vs. the Goliaths of Financial Services in Latin America
Tuesday, 25 January 2022
Duration: 60 min
Valued at US$2.45bn (as of Dec 2021), Ualá is one of the fast-rising fintech unicorns in Latin America. The personal financial management app offers a wide range of financial services including a debit card and a digital payment service tied to a global Mastercard, allowing customers to pay bills, invest and take loans or insurances. Hear from founder and CEO Pierpaolo Barbieri how Ualá’s “tech-and-touch” strategy revolutionized financial services in Argentina and brought more than 3 million new customers – 1 out of 20 people in Argentina – into banking in less than four years (2017-21) while effectively combining a social mission (focus on unbanked customers) and a profit goal. This INTHECASE is hosted by INSEAD Associate Marketing Professor David Dubois.
• Get exposure to cutting-edge new business model innovation in fintech.
• Learn how digital tools can help carve out new competitive advantages in crowded markets.
• Discover how to design and execute a customer-first tech-and-touch strategy and win over new and established digital players.
• Deep dive into the art and science of combining a social mission with a for-profit goal.
• Explore the fast-changing landscape of financial services in Latin America.